Monthly Play Readings
The club holds monthly play readings on the first Wednesday of each month. This acts both as a way of introducing new plays to the members, of providing a club activity for members not currently actively involved in a production, and also as a social event for club members. The evenings are held at members houses, and the only requirement to take part is to turn up with enthusiasm (and a small contribution to the refreshments).
NEXT PLAY READINGS
6 March 2019
Sheila Hewitt will lead us in reading
We will meet Chez Fiona
3 April 2019
Kristina Kardum will lead us in reading
We will meet Chez Rina
CEIA, Sint-Michielslaan 119, 1040 Brussel
In April I am delighted to welcome Kristina Kardum to lead us in the reading of a classic from her native country of Croatia: Messrs. Glembay. I think that this will be the first time that we have performed a Croatian piece, but no doubt Mary will be able to confirm that!
Messrs. Glembay is a 1929 play by Miroslav Krleža, which was adapted into a film in 1988.
The play is divided into three acts, dealing with the events and the rift within the family Glembay, and is the first of three plays in a trilogy. It is considered a classic of Croatian literature.
- Naci (Ignjat, Jacques) Glembay, banker, owner of company Glembay Ltd., first secret adviser (69 years)
- Baroness Castelli–Glembay, his second legitimate wife (45 years)
- Dr. Phil. Leone Glembay, Ignjat’s son from his first wife née Basilides–Danielli (38 years)
- Sister Angelika Glembay, Dominican, widow from Glembay’s son Ivan, née Baroness Zygtmuntowicz Beatrix (29 years)
- Titus Andronicus Fabriczy-Glembay, Glembay’s cousin, bishop emeritus (69 years)
- Dr. Iuris Puba Fabriczy-Glembay, lawyer, law adviser of company Glembay Ltd., his son (28 years)
- Dr. Med. Paul Altmann, physician (51 years)
- Dr. Theol. et Phil. Alojzije Silberbrandt, adviser of baroness’s son and her confesseur (39 years)
- Oliver Glembay, son of Baroness Castelli and banker Glembay (17 years)
- Ulanski Oberleutanant Von Ballocsanszky, army lieutenant (24 years)
For those of you who are new to the play reading group, we meet at 7.45pm aiming to start reading at 8. We have drinks and nibbles, and a small contribution in the form of a bottle or something to eat is always welcome!
Every month Janet emails a reminder to people who have attended in the past and wish to be on the mailing list for these reminders. If you would like to be added to the ECC Play Reading Email List, please email Janet at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Doodle: All you have to do is click on the link above, add your name to the list under ‘Table View’, click in the box to show you are coming (or do nothing if you’re not!) and then ‘Save’ your entry. If you have any problem with this, please do not hesitate to contact Janet.